Tuesday, May 13, 2008

be cheerful, strive to be happy

sometimes i need a hug. usually when people around i hug my laptop screen or i go see Ernie.

Back in the winter of 1991, Ernie was given to me as my gift from Dad's work Christmas Party. At first, i hated Ernie. I was rather disappointed actually. My sister had gotten a jewelery box or something cooler than a Sesame Street character.

But as days went by, i began to develop a deep friendship with Ernie. Everywhere i went, Ernie went. I still have several pictures of me clutching him in my small hands, or Ernie poking at the table of my sister's 5th birthday party. I gave him haircuts too. Ernie and I had a great bond during my early years with him.

In winter of 1992, I embarked a journey along with my entire family. We went to Pakistan for 9 months. Ernie was with me the entire plane ride (along with my Barbie doll, Ariel from The Little Mermaid). After the long 9 months, it was time to head back home. Alhumdulliah, we made it safe...little did i know, my precious Ernie would spend the next 14 years in Pakistan without me.

:(

During May 2006, half of my family went on a 2 month visit to Pakistan. I stayed back mainly due to me being in grade 12 and the fact it was my graduating year. While the family took off to Pakistan, several relatives were coming back from their visits to Pakistan. While welcoming them back home, i stuck around to checkout some pictures they had taken from their visit.

I usually over analyze images to find finer details in them. For some odd reason, its just a habit. As im viewing the images, my uncle passes me a CD, explaining to me he's put together some pictures we'd find interesting to look at from his trip. I head home and the next day i checkout the mystery CD.

It starts off with images of his children, my cousins. Running around in the green fields of rural areas of Pakistan. Historical sites and important regions. The riverfront lots and busy streets of the marketplaces in both villages and city center zones. Then the pictures of cousins and relatives and of people i didnt know existed, yet were still related. As im laughing away to a picture of my favorite little cousin playing in a room which brought back memories from 14 years ago to my mind, my eyes began to wander...

Ernie. there he was. upside down below the straw matted day bed. My jaw drops in utter shock and disbelief. Im at a loss of words completely. I cant help but to shed some silent tears, and i cant take my eyes off the image.

As those 2 months passed, my family returned from Pakistan. For me, they bring me back someone special. His name is Ernie.



*photo taken May 13th, 2008

-taibah out

3 comments:

saqibs85 said...

i too sleep with a teddy bear tibs. Its actually a Spongebob Doll.

HF said...

ahaha I can never sleep with teddy bears or dolls... before i go to bed, I have to put them all face - down because they creep me out.

but AWWW that was soo cute! You're both Reunited!! :D

Unknown said...

saqib- thats a lie!
hijabifashionista- i can kinda relate to what you're saying. i used to put away all my toys and stuffed animals in my closet or under the bed when i was kid. for some reason in the dark it always looked like they were moving....*shivers*