Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Valley of Richness


So, this is gonna sound hella cheesy to alot of you.
(shout out to saqibs85 for indirectly giving me this idea, thanks man!)

But im basically collecting fragments of writings, such as hadiths, ayats from the Quran, reflective writings from other online bloggers, khutbah summaries, random lecture notes, and book review notes. Its a collection of inspirational messages and things you and I can always look back at at times of 'roughness in the alley' [taibah lingo] or whenever you're sick of reading your boring notes for school and basically want to take a break and read something that will (insha allah) benefit you, and others, incase you wish to share it with someone else (feel free to do so!)

I call this collection, The Valley of Richness.

What does it mean to be Rich? Why did i choose the term Valley?
(In all truth, i thought it sounded really cool)...i shall explain my darlings.

When you think of Life, it gives me a headache. mostly cause of all the stuff i have to put up. In all aspects of life, im always trying to please someone or maintain my responsibilities. For example:

When i go to work, i please my boss and meet my deadlines, attend my meetings and arrange my time to get things done. For the most part, i simply have to keep my boss happy and make sure that work gets done, and that i dont waste my time throughout the day and just to stay productive as much as possible.

When i go to school, i dont really please anyone, except the entire university system itself. If i dont attend class, i miss lecture. If i miss lecture, i miss learning from my prof. and have difficulty trying to teach everything to myself later on. This causes major setbacks and requires me to work harder in getting assignments done and acquiring the knowledge needed for exams and inclass discussion topics. Overall, it can result to me either passing with a sweet color, or failing miserably.

When im at home, i please my parents. I play the role of a daughter and an older sister. Im responsible to maintain the overall cleanliness of my room *ahem, and take apart in balancing the chores at home, weather it be dishes or kitchen related stuff, such as offering to make rice or making tea, or vacuuming and doing my own laundry. I also need to spend time with my parents and siblings.

When im with friends, im just...another person they lean on? i cant quite describe the roles of trying to maintain a friendship, as this differs from person to person, depending on what they believe is the value of friendship. I'd love to be the person you can turn to when you're stuck, and one of the first people you'd turn to to burst out news of your joy, simply cause your joy would be my joy. As well as sadness. Your sadness would be my sadness. Friendship is really a beautiful thing, and I sound super corny trying to make it sound cool. Lol

But how does this all tie in to The Valley of Richness??

Throughout this great thing we call ‘Life’, we sometimes hit up points that throw us around. Sometimes people call these the bumps in life. Sadness and anger hits us from around in our duties and responsibilities in life (such as me being a friend, worker, sister etc.)

Life comes with a ‘Valley’ of sorrows, or ‘sad’ things we’ll encounter. The ‘Valley’ also includes ‘happy’ things too. It differs from person to person and depending what Allah SWT has in store for us.

Soo…that explains the Valley part. How about the Richness part?

What does it mean to be Rich?

Most people would say its depending on your credit limit. Cause you can get ANYTHING with a good credit limit now. Owning your own money in the bank isn’t always the case anymore.

Regardless, id love to share this ayah from the Quran, its absolutely beautiful.

"Realize that the life of this world is only play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children. It is like the vegetation (that sprouts forth) after rain, whose growth is pleasing to the disbeliever. Soon it dries up, and you see it turning yellow, then it becomes straw. But in the Hereafter (there is) a severe torment (for the disbelievers), and (there is) Forgiveness from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure (for the believers). And indeed, the life of this world is only a deceiving enjoyment." [Surah Hadid, 20]

The dunya is a passage, not the goal.

True wealth is to be content with what one has, and then to use it to strive for the everlasting reward of the Hereafter.

Rasulallah SWT said, "Richness is not in the quantity of possessions (that one has); rather, true richness is the richness of one's self (or contentment).

True success and wealth is found in the peace and satisfaction which results from sincerity in faith and practice. The contentment of the heart is what makes a person realise and appreciate this true richness.

That is indeed what Richness is.
I hope that clears up the confusion of the name “The Valley of Richness”, keep your eyes peeled!

-taibah out

1 comments:

WolfDog said...

"love to be the person you can turn to when you're stuck, and one of the first people you'd turn to to burst out news of your joy, simply cause your joy would be my joy. As well as sadness. Your sadness would be my sadness"

i think you hit friendship dead on.