Friday, June 6, 2008

when we drive...in your car...

Back in the day, the school year 2000-2001 and like most people when they hit grade 7, they’re in junior high. Basically, I was simply introduced to the other side of Darwin School. The Industrial Arts and Home Economics region in the school was like another world to me, along with several other things.

Junior high felt like such dirty years for me. Terrible memories indeed.

However, theres one thing that I did in grade 7 that I wont ever forget. And that was in my English Language Arts class with my homeroom teacher Ms.Howie.

Ms. Howie was the cool, hip, new teacher at our school, she was in her second year of teaching and was very young. She had a great way to connect to her students and was very unpredicatable. She also taught me Art and Science. We shared some good laughs in her class, she was very unique and creative. Currently shes now married and moved to Toronto.

During the second week of school, she walks into the classroom with a large box. Inside this large box are medium sized notebooks she had picked up from a local dollarstore. She gave each of us one notebook. We called these books our “Writing Journals”.

Now that im out of grade school, and in a career-based program with nothing to read or write but boring textbooks and financial statements, I truly begin to really miss all those writing assignments from high school and junior high English class.

Ive began helping some high schoolers with their English homework. Just within the past year, Ive found that writing is a hidden passion ive never discovered inside me.

(wow, I sound sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo retarded saying this)

But it is the truth. I love writing, and expressing myself. I wrote a 12 page memoir and have yet to type it up and add it to this blog, keep a lookout for that this summer iA.

I think ima take a trip to Dollarama, and buy a normal notebook and write “Taibah’s Writing Journal” across it in Green Marker and then carry it around with me. It wouldn’t be used for any personal writings, but rather, when im sitting in the ‘drinkers lounge; in Second Cup or the ‘drinkers lounge’ in Starbucks I can pull that book out and write how my drink or food is tasting. It can be about what the girl on the bus was wearing. It can be the new word ive learned. It can be about my reflections on reading my tafseer books. It can be anything really. It can even be about you lol.

Im hungry.

-taibah out

1 comments:

ZeeAwan said...

I HATED ms. Howie. She was a little __________ sometimes. I felt like throwing a box of chalk at her for throwing it at the other kids. Junior high was horrible indeed.